by Megan Schiffres
HEATHSVILLE—Proposed renovations to convert the former EVB bank building at 6985 Northumberland Highway into administrative offices for the county will strive to preserve the history of the structure.
The building, adjacent to the Old Courthouse, was originally constructed to house the Bank of Northumberland almost a century ago in 1924. The lobby still retains pieces of the original black and white granite teller counter from the 1920s, an imposing and impressive entrance to the space, and the bank’s original vault and vault door have also been preserved inside the historic building.
During a special meeting June 25, the Northumberland board of supervisors voted unanimously, 5-0, to relocate the offices of the Commissioner of the Revenue, Treasurer and voter registrar to the former bank building.
Board members examined architectural plans for…