Northumberland broadband authority pursues grant for wireless internet

Jackie Nunnery

by Jackie Nunnery

HEATHSVILLE—The Northumberland board of supervisors on September 9 approved a proposal from Broadband Telecom Services (BTS) to pursue a Virginia Telecommunication Initiative (VATI) grant to provide wireless internet for 900 unserved homes along the Route 200 corridor from Burgess to Kilmarnock.

The project is expected to cost $521,141.55 with 80% provided by the grant and the remaining 20% funded equally by the county and BTS. The county would be expected to pay $52,141.15 if the grant is awarded.

Northumberland County Broadband Authority (NCBA) member Patrick O’Brien said the project is designed to address households that would not be served with the fiber-to-the home-project launched in July of….

There’s more to this story,
and many more news articles, photos and ads available only in our online e-Edition or in the printed version. Become a subscriber today!
• To access or subscribe to the e-Edition, go -   HERE
• To subscribe to the printed version, go -   HERE
• To buy the printed version at a newsstand, -   HERE are our locations.

For assistance, please call us at 804-435-1701, extension 16.