The 56th annual Rappahannock Art League Labor Day Show opened with a reception September 1 at the freshly renovated RAL Art Center, 19 North Main Street, Kilmarnock.
The Labor Day Show was planned as the first event for the new gallery spaces, reported president Barry Beswick. New lighting provided a superb venue for the show and reception.
More than 250 guests attended the reception and awards ceremony, more than filling the space to enjoy the art in its new setting, he said. Some 120 pieces of art including paintings, photography, pottery, jewelry and sculpture created by 69 regional artists were displayed.
The show will continue from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily through Saturday, September 9.
The judge was Mary Montague Sikes of West Point, an accomplished artist, author, photographer and teacher.
“I am honored to have the opportunity to judge an exhibition of such varied work produced by so many imaginative artists,” said Sikes.
At the reception, Sikes presented more than 30 awards to artists for their work in the show. The best-in-show award went to Mary Jo Beswick for her acrylic painting, “In the Trees-Spring.”
“This acrylic painting, with the soft use of purple and lavender colors, captured my attention,” said Sykes. “I was touched by its charming interplay of the trees and branches.”
Other award winners included:
• Memorial awards, Pat O’Shaughnessy Memorial Award, traditional approach, David Zuck, “Sisterhood of the Rivah;” Kennedy Memorial Award, creative use of color, Mary Ellis, “Living on Higher Ground;” Jane Stouffer Memorial Award, overall, Brenda Sylvia, “Queen Anne’s View;” Jim Hazel Memorial Award, use of watercolor, Ralph Higgins, “Lifted Spirit;” and Anne Hayes Memorial Award, overall, Harold Burnley, “New River Sunrise.”
• Blue ribbons, first place, Jacquie Colligan, “Sangre de Cristo;” Lella Lee Edwards, “Day Break;” Bob Haynes, “Great Egret II;” Mel Neale, “Beach Boys;” and Eileen Tullner, “Spring Fling.”
• Red ribbons, second place, Patty Richards, “Mist Connections;” Sukey Starkey, “Mosaic Quilt;” Anne Wilcox, “Dragon Run Magic;” Buzz Burhenn, “Bethlehem Steel Valve;” Sarah Soderlund, “Live, Laugh;” and Linda LaVigne-Long, “Self Portrait.”
• Yellow ribbons, third place, Kathryn Murray, “Exponential Moment;” Anne Cotter, “Menacing Tapestry;” Ed Ramsey, “Lotus II;” Herb Aman, “Mist at Sunset;” Renate Muller, “Floorvase-Snowfields;” Martha Anne King, “Boxed In;” and Amy L. Lewis, “Fish Abyss.”
• White ribbons, honorable mention, Sue Ramsey, “Abstract Allure;” CarolAnne Taylor, “Sanibel Sunset;” Margaret Alderson, “Rockslide;” Joan Robinson, “Serendipity 2;” Jan Dobrowolski, “The Ancients;” Cheryl Mihills, “A Fish Tale;” Barbara Kershner, “Great White Hunter;” and Agnes Carter, “Tea Time with Lemon.”
more to this story,
and many more news articles, photos and ads available only in our online e-Edition or in the printed version. Become a subscriber today!
• To access or subscribe to the e-Edition, go - HERE
• To subscribe to the printed version, go - HERE
• To buy the printed version at a newsstand, - HERE are our locations.
For assistance, please call us at 804-435-1701, extension 16.