As this school year has quickly come to an end, the staff of the Northern Neck Food Bank thanks volunteers who made the first year of the Backpack Buddies Program in Lancaster County a remarkable success.
Terri Guillemets once said, “The world is hugged by the faithful arms of volunteers.”
In this case 95 children in the community were hugged throughout the school year by Backpack Buddies team leaders and volunteers, reported development director Cynthia L. Balderson.
Team leaders and volunteers included:
• Ann Revere, Team Leader, White Stone Baptist Church.
• Mildred Reed, Team Leader, New St. John’s Baptist Church.
• S. Chewning, Team Leader, Sharon Baptist Church.
• Ann Owen, Team Leader, White Stone United Methodist Church.
• Natalie Smith, Team Leader, Community Group.
Through this program, the Northern Neck Food Bank provides students six “child friendly” meals each Friday for the weekend, said Balderson. The program began in September 2016 serving 60 children weekly at Lancaster Primary School and expanded in March 2017 to serve 70 children weekly at LPS and 25 children weekly at Lancaster Middle School.
“Our mission is to provide healthy nutritious foods for those in need in the communities we serve,” said Balderson. “Our backpack buddy program is just one of the ways we accomplish this.”
For other programs or facility tours, call 577-0246, email email@example.com, or visit nnfb.org.
more to this story,
and many more news articles, photos and ads available only in our online e-Edition or in the printed version. Become a subscriber today!
• To access or subscribe to the e-Edition, go - HERE
• To subscribe to the printed version, go - HERE
• To buy the printed version at a newsstand, - HERE are our locations.
For assistance, please call us at 804-435-1701, extension 16.