Monday morning blaze presents challenges for Boys & Girls Club

by Robert Mason Jr.

Kilmarnock, White Stone and Upper Lancaster volunteer fire departments responded Monday, November 19, to a fire at the Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Neck, 517 North Main Street, Kilmarnock. Club operations have been suspended until Monday, November 26. Club officials urge parents to check the Facebook page and follow twitter @bgcnn2 for updates.

The lights flickered and there was a popping sound at an electrical panel box outside Philip Mumford’s office door just after 8 a.m. Monday.

That’s about the only warning the Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Neck (BGCNN) chief executive officer had that something was wrong, he said.

Mumford left his desk and headed into the hallway towards the game room, searching for maintenance man John Piorko, the only other employee on the premises. Along the way, he heard crackling in the attic, like a fire in a fireplace, he said.

Although he didn’t see flames, he saw smoke and knew to pull the fire alarm, said Mumford. By that time, the fire appeared to be…


There’s more to this story,
and many more news articles, photos and ads available only in our online e-Edition or in the printed version. Become a subscriber today!
• To access or subscribe to the e-Edition, go -   HERE
• To subscribe to the printed version, go -   HERE
• To buy the printed version at a newsstand, -   HERE are our locations.

For assistance, please call us at 804-435-1701, extension 16.